Tuesday, May 22, 2007

religion and me...

I am a catholic.. I have been one and shall always will be..

This is the only religion i have known and have come to embrace as my own.. I was born in it so i didnt have a choice.. but i must say that if i did, i would have chosen this one over all other religions.. no offense meant to other religions.. but this is the one that defined who i am for better or for worse.. this is the religion whose intricacies , traditions and rituals i have come to cherish...

but as familiar this religion is to me.. as beloved its traditions are.. i feel a sense of alienation as a catholic.. look up at the title of this blog and if you have been reading the papers, i guess you would know why...

i am gay.. and i am a catholic.. the church says something has to give.. if i were young when i was pondering all this, i would have been terribly confused.. but with age comes a sense of clarity.. and i dont know if the church authorities would agree with what i have to say.. ( i for one am not looking for any debate on this matter.. trust me.. ) but here is how i see it..

my rationale might be too simplistic.. but it works for me.. i believe that the Lord almighty has a plan for each and everyone of us.. and i believe that our Lord loves us.. After all, he embodies love.. and he doesnt discriminate.. so he loves everyone.. straight.. gays.. rich.. poor... people of all races.. men.. women.. children..

i feel so blessed.. i feel so fortunate.. i feel his love for me everyday.. i cant just turn my back on him just because of a newspaper article or an announcement from the church leadership ... i express my belief and love him through the catholic church.. and i will continue to do so.. i dont think the church would come to the point of ostracizing all of us.. but with the hatred going on around us, that scenario is starting to become plausible in the not so distant future..

even if it happens, ill hold on to my faith.. i may not be able to get inside a church.. but i can always talk to him.. anywhere.. anytime...

that is one constant im counting on...

No comments: